Sunday, March 25, 2018

Week #10- Artificial Intelligence

I just randomly came across an article this week about Artificial Intelligence and we have been reading a book all about it, so I figured I would read this article and see what it had to say about it. Up until now I have really only thought about the good things that AI would offer the world, such as SIRI on our iPhones and self-driving cars, but this article shows some of the bad parts of it. The first down side that AI presents is that sometimes AI is programmed to do something dangerous and devastating. Things such as automatic weapons are AI systems that are programmed to kill. If these weapons get into the hands of someone who would be dangerous, they could cause a lot of problems for people. I'm not trying to get into the debate of gun control, but I am simply stating how AI could be a dangerous thing. The next point that the author of the article makes is that "AI is programmed to do something beneficial, but it develops a destructive method for achieving the goal". And it goes on to say that this might happen when we don't fully align the AI's goals with our own goals, and when they are very different.

Like I said before, up until this point, I have heard nothing but good things about AI (until I saw the movie Ex Machina, but then again it is a movie), but I have thought that AI has only been up to good things, and now that I think about all the ways that AI is in our daily lives, it is a little scary how quickly AI is becoming more and more real, and how much we actually need to watch out for things such as automatic weapons and even self-driving cars, they can be dangerous in a way. Machines do make mistakes, so we have to keep a close eye on things and not let it completely take over our lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment