Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Week #3- Surfing the Tsunami- Ch. 3

This week I also read Chapter 3 of Surfing the Tsunami and it was about how AI is impacting the job market. In this chapter he gives a bunch of examples as to which jobs are probably going to be jeopardized. Jobs such as: accountants, lawyers. retail workers, financial advisers, and sales jobs. So as you can see its in no specific area of work that is going to be losing jobs, its pretty much all over the board. He pretty much says that you have to be a realist and realize that the change is coming and we need to adapt to the change. Change can also be good. Certainly, if AI doesn't effect your job, then yes the change is a good thing. AI has started to effect my job. I work as a teller at a bank and the job of a teller is slowly becoming a smaller and smaller job. I can't tell you the last time I walked into the bank, because of AI. ATM's can pretty much do anything a teller can do. Most basic transactions can be done through an ATM. So I am a little worried for my job, but not really. I don't plan on being a teller for a very long time, so I'm not too nervous about losing my job. But I do think this change is a good thing. If companies can save money by switching to robots, then they should, and I think we would all think like this if we were the CEO's of all these companies.


No comments:

Post a Comment