Thursday, February 1, 2018

Week #2- Surfing the Tsunami- Ch. 2

This week I read chapter 2 of Surfing the Tsunami and it was about what AI is up to these days. That is actually the title of the chapter. But the first example that he gives is self driving cars, its pretty much a robot that is driving your car and you are just sitting in the drivers seat, but not actually driving. He pretty much goes on to say that this could potentially be a very dangerous thing to do, because obviously humans make mistakes and so can AI. Machines aren't perfect just like humans, sure they have far fewer errors but they still can make mistakes.

Another area that AI is taking over is drones. These are a physical example of how AI is taking over. The ability that drones have to fly and take pictures and videos is amazing. And they can also go pretty far from where the operator is. Farther than something like a little helicopter. Siri is another good example. I never think of Siri as a robot. I think of her as just an easier way to do things, which is really AI. AI is trying to make humans lives easier. The ways that iPhones store things such as our locations and what we say to Siri is almost scary. I can't speak for Androids because I don't know much about them, but when I turn on my car and the Bluetooth on my phone connects to my cars Bluetooth, the maps on my iPhone automatically pop-up and depending on the time of day it will tell me how long it will take me to get somewhere. Usually it says how long it will take me to get home or to get to work. That is AI. So the amount of AI that is already in our lives is astounding, and we don't even realize it half the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment